We have a lot of vegetarians coming through the doors here at Hypoxi and often it is quite hard to recommend a nice complete source of protein that isn’t also heavy on the carbs.
While we love a good protein shake here or there, we also know how important it is to provide everyone with delicious recipes and food that will assist their weight loss efforts. This month then, we bring you a succulent tempeh recipe, in a glorious smoky marinade, reminiscent (somewhat) of bacon.
I know the concept of dressing up a vegetarian protein in a pseudo bacon sauce sounds like a form of ‘frankenfood’, however rest assured that these babies are fussy eater proof, boyfriend proof and fool proof. Indeed, I have even chanced upon my beloved boyfriend tucking into ‘last night’s sausages’.
Tempting Tempeh Marinade
2 tablespoons tamari/soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
4 drops toasted sesame oil (optional, but good)
1 tsp of chilli powder (omit if you hate chilli)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 packet of tempeh (available in major supermarkets in the refrigerator section)
- Mix all marinade ingredients together in a bowl and whisk to combine
- Divide the tempeh into sausage like fingers and place in a baking tray. Pour the marinade over the tempeh and allow to marinade. I like to leave these overnight, but f you are pressed for time half an hour will do. Turn the tempeh over half way to allow the marinade to absorb on the other side.
- After you have let the Tempeh sit, drain the marinade from the tempeh and reserve it.
- To a hot pan, add some olive oil and lay the tempeh out. Spoon over the remaining marinade and cook until marinade evaporates and browns. Turn over the tempeh and sear for a minute.
- Remove from the pan and serve with a yummy side salad.
This is a perfect post Hypoxi workout meal for any vegetarian or those looking to incorporate a few more vegetarian dishes into their diet!