Curried Chicken Salad with Almonds
One of the hardest meals to get right for many of our clients is lunch. It seems that unless rabbit food is on the menu, trying to get clean lean protein with a side of non-starchy vegetables that isn’t dripping in olive oil is nigh impossible. Which is why I advocate Sunday afternoon prep. Set an alarm for each Sunday afternoon and make the time to prep your lunch for the week. You will be amazed at how much money you save and how easy it is to fit into your snug pair of work pants after a few weeks. Eating for fat loss is all about preparation, so set that alarm for Sunday and spend your time wisely. Your body and your bank account will thank you.
This salad below is one of my personal preparation favorites and a standby lunch in my Hypoxi kitchen.
· 450g boneless, skinless chicken breast
· 1/3 cup plain non-fat yogurt
· 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
· 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
· 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
· Pinch of cinnamon
· 1 cup finely chopped celery
· 1/3 cup finely chopped red capsicum
· 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
· ¼ cup flaked almonds
· 200g baby spinach leaves
Directions [Serves 4]
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add chicken breast and bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes. Drain the water and let the chicken cool. When meat is cool, chop or tear with hands and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, prepare dressing by mixing yogurt, salt, curry powder, turmeric and cinnamon. Add celery, capsicum, onion, and almonds and stir well.
3. Add chicken to the dressing and stir gently to combine. Separate mixture into four even servings and place each serving into a separate Tupperware container.
4. Seal containers and place in the fridge. When ready to serve simply add some baby spinach leaves to your container, seal the container, pop into your workbag and you have lunch good to go!