At HYPOXI we love the ease of making simple ‘bowl food’, and this asian chicken salad is also super refreshing. It works well as a light dinner on warm nights, a perfect ‘bring a plate’ dish to a summer BBQ and also an ideal take- to-work lunch idea. You can even put the dressing in a separate container and transport with you to keep it fresh.
Asian Chicken Salad Recipe
- ½ cabbage (shredded)
- Bok-Choy (finely sliced)
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 red capsicum, cut into thin matchsticks
- Handful of coriander
- 2 teaspoons of toasted sesame seeds
- Cup of sliced green onion
- 2 chicken breasts
- 8-10 black peppercorns (crushed)
- 2 sprigs of coriander
- 1 x carrot, peeled and cut in half
- 1 celery stalk, cut in half.
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely grated
- 1 x small piece of ginger, peeled and finely grated
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon water
- ½ tablespoon sesame oil
- Pinch chilli flakes
- Pinch salt
For the chicken
- Place the chicken breasts at the bottom of a wide pan over medium high heat and add enough water to cover by one inch.
- Add the other ingredients and bring the water to a boil, then immediately turn to a simmer.
- Cook for approximately 15 minutes.
- Turn off and then let the chicken breasts sit in the water another 15 minutes.
- When cool, pull the breasts apart into thin shreds. Set aside.
For the slaw mix
- Place all dressing ingredients (except sesame oil) into a small mixing bowl.
- Whisk the oil to combine.
- Place all the salad ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the chicken and pour the dressing over the mixture when ready to serve.
- Sprinkle some more toasted sesame seeds and coriander to garnish.